Movement Therapy for Parkinson's Disease
Neuroplasticity—the brain's ability to form new connections is the foundation for the treatment of LSVT BIG® . LSVT® is a treatment approach for people with Parkinson’s disease that addresses the cognitive aspects of the disease, leading to significant improvements in function, balance, and gait.
Patients are given specific exercises involving large amplitude and exaggerated movement patterns. Research conducted by the NIH reveal that this therapy leads to smoother, larger, and safer movements as well as improved quality of life. High intensity exercises is also shown to delay the progress of falling dopamine levels in the body.
Dr. Anna Stromquist PT, DPT is the only physical therapist in Atlanta providing LSVT BIG® in the home. This greatly eases the burden of getting to and from a clinic near daily, and also provides privacy, and real-life settings to tackle challenges. Treatments delivered by LSVT® -certified clinicians consist of the following:
- Four LSVT-BIG® sessions a week, for four consecutive weeks (16 LSVT visits).
- A thorough evaluation and discharge session, one prior and one following the 16 LSVT® visits.
- Individual one-hour treatment sessions.
- Daily homework practice (all 30 days of the month).
- Daily carryover assignments (all 30 days of the month).
- An option to taper off into maintenance visits to ensure follow-through.
This treatment is ideal for anyone who has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, whether you have been living with this condition for years, or been recently diagnosed. To learn more about the history of LSVT Global® click here. Click below to schedule your consultation with our LSVT® -certified clinician.